Monday, July 27, 2009

End of July

Diana and Martin have been here. Diana has removed parts of the stumpery in the bog and so we have been inspired to remove some more. We found a few little blaeberry plants in among the roots; and I have replanted them just outside the study window. I have also planted near there an olearia macrodonta like the one which Janet gave me years ago and which is now huge and very beautiful. The ground beneath the six inches of peat put there by the builders, taken, as I believe I may have said before, from our beautiful peat meadow grrr, is a mixture of orange sand and stones. I have no idea if this is indigenous or builders' waste. I will be interested to see how it operates as a growing medium.

When we took D and M for the usual walk around we had the greatest excitement of finding a huge bush of knee high oak, far down towards the river just to the side of the knoll with the dead tree. The oak is either one sprawling or several not sprawling seedlings, very thoroughly bonsaied by deer. It is eight feet by six feet across and about two feet high. We are amazed that we have not seen it before; but, really, you don't expect to see an oak tree imitating the action of bog myrtle. This is a fencing priority.

Diana and Roy waded across to one of the little islands in the river, as the water was so low, and found three alders there. Rather fairy taleish I feel. Otherwise, we just noticed trees and plants and we sat on rocks in the burn and fantasised about what the Victorians would have done with the ravine. Well, I did.

On Sunday we went to have lunch at the Invergarry Castle Hotel, a very civilised place, because we had to buy some milk. We went for a walk in the grounds which are decayed gentility: lots of big oaks and beeches; the remains of gardens; terraces; gunneras; a whole pond full of arum lilies; and dozens and dozens of oak seedlings. Oh how my trowel finger itched.

I have been taking pictures which will be posted when I can find the intellectual energy. They include some interiors because I have been asked for them. The study is now useable as such; we have moved the sofa to the place where a second one might be put. And the builders have done various things such as fixing the lights which I don't much like over the table (and breaking one of them). The table is really too short for three lights. They have also put up our ingenious American coathooks as yet unavailable here. (Thank you, Max.) The pictures will be there to prove it.

16 comments:

Max said...

These are very long yet interesting posts!

Cecilia said...

They seem to inhibit comment.

Livia said...

Photos? Soon?

Esther said...

also list of suppliers of acceptable garden-warming tokens??

Janet said...

Can you get rid of the green margin down the left hand side, so that you get longer line lengths for your paragraphs (like Livy's blog). I think Livy also has a slightly larger font, and the contrast between font background is greater.
But I think increasing the line length would help most.

Cecilia said...

Livy - can you do as Janet suggests?

Livia said...

Is this OK?
I am just choosing a template which all the elements then fit into. I hope that the colours are OK for reading with poor eyesight. Tell me what needs to change, if not.

Janet said...

I think that makes the amount of text less daunting.

Cecilia said...

Apologies for the daunt.

Kate said...

Are you just going for " wildlife" planting or are you having a domesticated garden area as well?

I have had a go at vegetables this year for the first time. Spinach , fennel and coriander all very successful. Courgettes TOO succesful-there are several enormous baby sized ones and it turns out no-one else likes them . Gooseberries,sweetcorn & pumpkins coming along nicely. So many huge peaches that several branches have cracked. I will be taking them into work by suitcase full shortly as I know they will all come ripe on the same day. Isaac says flower beds are looking "too full " which is the effect I have trying for for ages. Next thing is a couple of small fruit trees I think.

Cecilia said...

Gosh I am wildly impressed. I would love to manage that.

Kate said...

I have started issuing peaches out at work and will offer some to neighbours . I am not equipped for large scale preserving ventures.

Kate said...

Giving out fruit to neighbours has its hazards. I have shifted a bag of peaches but gained a punnett of greengages. Which are yummy . Would that grow in your area? Venison with a hint of greengage would be nice.

Cecilia said...

I think you should come HERE, NOW and bring your peaches with you.

Kate said...

The peaches are squirting juice across the garden now. We were raking up mouldy ones this evening and there is a peachy puddle on the patio where the green recycling bag stood briefly.I suspect the bin men will be pursued by wasps back to the depot on Wednesday. I have handed out three bags ( of nice ones)to neighbours this evening and sawn off several branches that had snapped under the weight.I was not prepared. I should have been collecting jam jars since spring to make chutney etc. Having cut back the peach branches we have found four huge courgettes bigger than the cat. I shall abandon them on the steps of the church by night and hope someone takes pity on them.

Cecilia said...

I need a greenhouse NOW.