Saturday, August 16, 2008

Nearly finished, perhaps.

The Wood, 11 August 2008

We have been to the house twice in the past week: Monday and Friday, on the way to and from Runival. The photos which I think I will be embedding are of the first visit. A pity, now I come to think of it, as there had been some changes, as one might have expected, between the two visits.

On the first visit the electricians were in, along with Alistair's brother Donald, who is his site manager, I think. Donald is quite sure that the shelves under the back window in the kitchen were cancelled. Not by us, but we may just live without them. We rather improperly (such things are meant to come from the architect) confirmed that we would prefer white sockets in the shelves at the back of the island, rather than the metal ones which were originally planned to go into the wood at the ends, which we thought was too lovely to cut into. We mentioned the hole needed to take the wires down from the hi-fi shelves. (Still not done by Friday but it is a small thing.) We were a little surprised at how far the little round lights on the stairs stick out; but by Friday we were used to them. This is a psychological phenomenon.

I broke the lid of the downstairs lavatory by sitting on it. Bad lady.

By Friday, the wood tops to the shelves behind the loo and the bath in the bathroom had been fitted, and very handsome they look.

The grey doors, for which Max is taking ALL the credit, and let's humour him, are just the thing and I am prepared to bet that Mary will like them too and we may see them in other Dualchas houses.

Perhaps the most noticeable change is outside, where all the crisp packets, odd lumps, bits of plastic and crisp packets have been buried in gravel. It is not quite as I had envisaged it on the south side, but it does look smart. Some top peat, if I may call it that, has been moved from other parts of the site to around the house. It will need to be redistributed a bit; but it is an improvement. I was very pleased to see that many of the raw bits beside the track and where the original abortive track was tried, have greened up very well.

The well head has been buried, which I think is a pity, though it will save on the cost of building a lovely stone pyramid or other allegresse.

I have taken some videos, at Diana's suggestion; but as Livy is in Seth Efrica I can't upload them.

8 comments:

Cecilia said...

Not even Livy can get the videos to load. Sorry, Diana.

Esther said...

pity abut October but weather should be better in spring. i will be in touch about fixing a private view

can any of my Scottish relatives tell me what the march is that starts like Donkey Riding but isn't? I've heard it three times this weekend, including the television relay of the Tattoo

Janet said...

Drive needs to be well compacted and well shaped to allow for adequate drainage. Gravel should be angular rather than rounded to allow for good interlock.

To avoid Laura Ashley moments, I try to encourage all children to leave shoes down stairs and not walk around in socks. The only times I have fallen downstairs, I have been wearing dodgy shoes.

I have just handed in my MSc thesis. Just the Presentation and question/answer session on Friday to do. Apart from an A3 academic poster. This I need to address this afternoon to get it out of the way as it is only worth 2% (I think).

Steve and I are child-free at the moment. Rose and Tom are in Shropshire with Shirley, and Rebekah is gallivanting around the Solent in the company of the Royal Navy. (Yes, Air cadets do mix with the RN) Yesterday evening she was going by hovercraft to the Isle of Wight.

Anonymous said...

Agreed pity about October. However that puts off making decision about what to do about cat for a bit longer.I am unexpectedly child free due to Megan deciding she wants Isaac for a bit longer and me choosing not to make An Issue out of it. Anyone who has seen my stair carpet recently will be relieved to hear I have done something about it. Stairs now painted white with carpet tiles up the middle. Looks very nice but will need constant dusting probably.

Cecilia said...

We shall be insisting that everyone wears No Shoes upstairs because the floors are so lovely. But we will probably also insist that everyone wears socks, to polish the floors. So it is a good thing we have a sturdy banister.

We are just back from a trip to Runival and the Wood. We had a sort of demonstration of the bits of the Nibe from the expert today. It is truly magic. There will be more pictures when I can be fashed to load them. Mary is going to visit on Monday, so we may have a Certificate of Practical Completion then. There are still lots of things we would like tidied up; and the house needs a radical cleaning, which means it looks a little depressed and unloved.

Anonymous said...

That is Christmas presents sorted then- those thick socks with non-slip rubber bobbly bits on the sole.

Janet said...

Presumably the rubber bits won't help polish the floor?

Anonymous said...

Ok just for the stair climbing bit. or Persian slippers? I am thinking about getting some for home visits. More and more people seem to have beige carpets. Of course some houses I just wipe my feet on the way out.